Third MAIN-Latin American Regional Dialogue
4.25.12 - 4.27.12
Latin American MAIN Regional Dialogue on the Development of Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs)
The third in a series of regional dialogues in Latin America, brought together stakeholders representing various ministries involved in mitigation actions – such as environment, planning, energy, transportation and finance – to participate in expert presentations, roundtable discussions, peer-to-peer exchanges, and sessions focused on designing potential NAMAs.
Highlights for the meeting included:
- Updates on the Green Climate Fund, the carbon market, and UNFCCC negotiations on NAMAs
- Participant country reports of current NAMAs under development
- Presentations by developed countries on available climate finance for NAMAs
- Discussions on financing in NAMA design and financing options to address policy barriers
- Presentations of best-practice policy options in various sectors: waste, renewable energy, building efficiency and transportation
- Case studies of countries that have implemented successful actions in these sectors
- Sectoral and country breakout sessions focused on the design of potential NAMAs and peer review of early NAMAs
The meeting was hosted by the Colombian Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development, with financial support from the German International Climate Initiative, the Government of Canada through the Federal Department of the Environment and the Swedish Ministry of the Environment.